A Day In The Life Of LADYSAM

Friday, September 24, 2010

ExCiTiNg NeWs!!!


So, the other day, I gave Matthew a Scantron Assessment. It measures knowledge and gaps in your child's knowledge. I wasn't shocked to see the results. It is rather impressive. Matthew scored in the 92 %ile nationwide for Language Arts and reading! The printed test results shows he has mastered 11th grade level stuff. Other areas there were no more places to master, he mastered it all already. Part of the reason I like this K12 program is that it is student paced. We are moving Matthew up in grade level for the Language Arts and Literature. I had options to move him up into high school level, but I am fairly conservative. I decided to leave him in the 7th grade (he is currently doing 6th grade right now), Language Arts and Reading because Composition is introduced and he has not done much with it. If he still flys through this, we will bump him up some more. There are many complexities happening here. Matthew is socially and emotionally around 4 years old. I can guess this by putting Madison's emotions next to him. But he is an 11 year old by physically, and intellectually, he is way above. So far in his History and Science classes, he has 100% average. He memorizes everything. But in these areas, you have to take them step by step. Composition will be a challenge for him, only as far as the writing goes. He doesn't physically write very well, but he can type. Otherwise, as his Learning Coach, I can scribe for him, which is another option (if I can keep up with him, he talks very fast especially when he is excited!!!). Anyway, this is a strong positive for Matthew. Keeping him challenged without overwhelming him is important. We are going to be introducing Spanish to him in October, as well as Art (which I am totally excited for)!!!


1 comment:

shayster said...

This is awesome news. thank you for sharing! The HOPE!

Josh Littman Interviews His Mother-A Boy With Asperger's Syndrome (turn off music below)

Q&A from StoryCorps on Vimeo.

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

My Peeps!


background