
Jeff and I were fortunate enough to be invited to teach at the college where I am taking classes from. I have taken several classes in Psychology, Human Growth and Development, and Abnormal Psychology. I have LOVED these classes way more than I ever dreamed I would. My instructor (the same lady) was EXCELLENT, and so encouraging. We got to know each other very well, and she helped me stay strong during the tough moments with dealing with the school situation with Matthew. Well, last semester in Abnormal Psych, I had to write a paper and then talk on it during class as part of the final grade. She loved it and invited us to come and do this presentation for future classes she has in these subject areas. So I graciously agreed! This is our passion!
We know that to help Matthew and others like him, we have to educate anyone and everyone, so there is greater understanding of what it is like to be him. When people can understand what is going on, they will be more kind and tolerant. Believe me, we have seen people be down right cruel to him (they no longer exist). :O)
So today we went and taught two of her classes and have one more on March 2. She also asked us to come back over the summer and fall to do more!
The newest thing is that a woman at the college approached us (she sat in on our class) about doing continuing education classes in our community and 3 others. How exciting! This is what we have wanted! Plus it is a paying gig, not much but worth the time and effort!
One more thing, kind of ironic since I am anti-pawnee (its a mental health facility in North Central Kansas), they have called me and asked if I would be interested in sitting on their Board of Directors, representing a parent with a child on a specific waiver. :O) How funny. I cant STAND Pawnee. Who knows what will come of that.







No comments:
Post a Comment