A Day In The Life Of LADYSAM

Sunday, June 12, 2011

BuSy LiFe...

I have been so very busy! I think sometimes parents falsely convince themselves that once school is out for the summer, that there will be more time to relax and get things done. ***NOT***. I can barely get everything accomplished through the day! But the kids are enjoying themselves for the most part. Matthew is still working on his studies, and should be finished with them by the end of the month. I love that he still has things to do with school each day (even though he doesn't).

As a family, for the past couple of years, we have been thinking about getting a service dog for Matthew. I have always kind of pushed the thoughts aside because I knew the amount of time and commitment it would take. I was still in school full time, battling it out with his school and then homeschooling, I just couldn't take one more thing. But time has passed and now is the time! We have a family in town who has a daughter with autism, Asperger's-like Matthew. But she has outgrown the need for her service dog, and they have offered to GIVE her to us. Of course she will go and be retrained, but we should have her hopefully by the end of the month or within a month at most. I am so grateful for such good people! This dog is a Golden Retriever named Camden. I cant tell you the hope it brings to my heart to know that Matthew can learn how to be a bit more independent by walking the dog out on his own (like most 12 year old boys can do). But looking ahead, I only have 5 or 6 years to get him more independent. So sort of speaking on the same terms, because I am so behind on my blogging, we got the North Central Kansas Autism Foundation up and running! We have a Board of Directors, and we are meeting regularly each month and have some wonderful plans coming up. I know the work that will be involved this first year or two but it is our goal to help families like ours who need some support, guide them to resources they need, and just to have fun! We have our name out there, and people have come to us, which is such a wonderful feeling!!!

No comments:

Josh Littman Interviews His Mother-A Boy With Asperger's Syndrome (turn off music below)

Q&A from StoryCorps on Vimeo.

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

My Peeps!


background