A Day In The Life Of LADYSAM

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What an HONOR!!! I have been invited...



to become a member of Phi Theta Kappa. It is a Honors Fraternity (International Honors Society). I was shocked to get the letter in the mail yesterday, certainly was the last thing I had expected. For this privilege, only a small handful of students are invited to join. You have to have a GPA of 3.5 or above (mine is a 4.0 right now). I will be eligible for scholarships too. If I do this, induction into Phi Theta Kappa will allow me to have a Golden Key Membership Pin, Membership Certificate, Notation of membership on my diploma and transcripts and if I can maintain my GPA, I will get to wear the Regalia at graduation that sets me apart as a Phi Theta Kappa member. This would look EXCELLENT on any resume because just the words Phi Theta Kappa tells any employer that this person has worked hard, had taken extra care towards their grades, and that they are committed.



Now, I have not decided to do this as of yet. I am concerned that since this is a great honor to be a part of (really just neat to receive this letter), I know that members of this Chapter are busy with doing special things for the college. It helps promote leadership and there is responsibility that goes along with it. I don't know if I can commit to being away doing these other things while trying to parent my sweet children, and keep up my grades. This is a hard thing I am doing right now, and I don't know if I would be able to swing it. Isn't it a neat thing? I was excited about it, anyway. :OP



So with this news, and I don't know how these things work, it brought about a great deal of concern and confusion to my brain (which is fairly fried- midterm week, tests, kids...) I talked with my Advisor about it. She gave me some great advice and counsel about what I should do. Then while at my Practicum today, I talked to Mrs. Brewer (the teacher that is mentoring me), she gave me some great advice too, similar to what my instincts told me, and also what my Advisor advised me. I felt concerned because of my age, and not wanting to be the old woman sitting in the back row trying to act like a 20 year old. I was firmly corrected and told that it is the non traditional students that make the BEST students, because they are there because they want to be, not because it is expected of them. I feel the same way, and glad to know that IF I do this, I wont be the old woman sitting on the back row. Really, it is just an honor getting the letter, so we will see what happens.



So, my orientation session is on Tuesday, October 21st. It is the initial meeting I will go to-to make my final decision, seeing what the commitment will be on my part. If I do it, the formal induction ceremony is on Thursday November 13, 2008. If you made it reading this far, you deserve an award! LOL!



Here is a website incase anyone wants to view it: http://www.ptk.org/ This explains a little more of the Phi Theta Kappa program.

1 comment:

Cori Ann said...

Congratulations... What an honor! I know you'll make the right decision. Just listen to your heart. :)

Josh Littman Interviews His Mother-A Boy With Asperger's Syndrome (turn off music below)

Q&A from StoryCorps on Vimeo.

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

Jeff & Stormy-Eternal Companions

My Peeps!


background