Last Thursday, as I was driving to pick up the kids after school, I drove by a road where Jeff's Aunt Ruth lives. Across the street from her house is a Sister in our Branch that is no longer active in the Branch. About 6 years ago, her dh committed suicide. This sister has really been through a lot, and now, it was her house that I noticed that day because there were fire trucks and ambulances there. I worried because I knew from my vantage point, it was either her house or Aunt Ruth's house.
Immediately I emailed our Branch President and told him. He called shortly after he got the email. I told him I had absolutely no details, and I had drove past her house after it was all cleared of emergency vehicles and it had indeed burned down.
I talked with her on Sunday and asked her what she needed. She has two little grand nieces living with her. Ironically the older one of the two was in the classroom that I did my practicum in last semester. Her name is Madison. She has a younger sister that is in Preschool named Kaylee. I felt terrible for these girls because everything was lost, clothing, toys everything they got from Christmas, everything. :O( Because Bethanie is a year older, we did have some clothes I could gather, some kids books, baby dolls and a few other toys.
Bethanie and I baked some cupcakes and took them and the things we collected over to them this evening to a house she just rented (fully furnished). The girls were so excited to see the clothes. They started sorting them into piles for themselves (so cute!!) and the toys were the hit of the day. They were so grateful for these things. It brings tears to my eyes just knowing that everything has been lost for them and what little I could give to them in such a hurry meant something to them. It was good for Bethanie to see that there are children out there who are truly in need, and she enjoyed sharing her clothes and toys with them. She drew the cutest picture for them (even though she has never met them) and was excited to carry everything herself up to their door to give them. What an example she is to have this strong desire to serve a family she has never met before. I am proud of her for being so brave, and so giving of herself. It made me feel so good to see them happy. I think they will be coming for play dates. The house they rented is only 2-3 blocks from our house.
I pray that this poor sister is comforted to know that there are people who are there for her, and want to help. I know that the Lord is blessing them.
7 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment